Thursday, July 16, 2009

MAGNOLIA BLOSSOM


 
I liked the way this Magnolia blossom turned out. Magnolias are such dignified and elegant blossoms, especially in their early stages. The foliage is fun to paint, and the tiny buds are fun, too. They are just made for watercolor artists. In this painting, I used Rose Madder Genuine. I love this color, but it can be tricky because it sort of granulates if you're not careful to blend well. Some artists love the granulation, though. Schmincke makes a wonderful color for small tree branches called Transparent Brown. 

4 comments:

Joyfulartist said...

You told us everything except what you used for your lovely dark background.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Dear Joyfulartist, First of all, THANK YOU for all your kind comments on lots of paintings! It's very important for artists to communicate...we get the best ideas from each other. About the background, I used Grumbacher Paynes Gray. I believe I used 2 coats. I don't like to use many coats. I like transparent watercolors, so I try to get done with only one layer, whenever possible. But with dark backgrounds, you usually need 2 or more. I love the old Grumbacher paints. Some artists look down their noses at them cause they're "student grade"...but they make some colors better than anybody.

Joyfulartist said...

Thanks.
Have you ever tried Holein's Peach Black? It's a nice warm black and covers a background quite well.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Peach Black? What an odd name! You've got me curious now, I'm gonna go and look it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...