Friday, July 16, 2010

Daisies in a Teacup


I like paintings that are cropped tightly. Sometimes it's hard to set up a painting of objects that touch the top margin of the painting. Anytime I feel uncomfortable with a finished piece, I usually find that it can be improved by cropping. I used to have alot more trouble with this, until I started painting aceos and small-format pieces. You have to zoom in on the essence in a small-format piece. In this painting, I used my favorite blue: Schmincke Paynes Grey Bluish. Also I'm loving Winsor & Newton's Quin Gold - it's so rich.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Loving this! Clean and crisp...
There is nothing like Q Gold :D

Gretchen Bjornson ART said...

I agree....Quin. Gold is an amazing color. I love this painting. How did you make the outlines of the petals? The lines are so fine and delicate.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

I always draw with a super fine mechanical pencil - a .3mm. I love fine crisp lines. I leave the pencil lines. The underlying drawing is so important. In Shirley Trevena's new book, she talks about the "marks" a painter makes on their paintings being very distinctive and individual, and I understand what she means.

Vicki Greene said...

This is so pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...