Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cardinal Painting


The barn swallows seem to be creating a third clutch of babies in the same nest this year. The nest is in the eaves of the building where I work, and I've become addicted to watching them. It's spurred me to paint more birds. Or maybe its just because I'm getting older. I also saw a cardinal and its mate on my back yard fence the other day. Yes, cardinals do live in Texas! The male always gets the gorgeous red plumage, of course. The poor female, who does all the work, is so plain in comparison. So unfair. Anyway, for this painting I used Grumbacher Geranium and Graham Cadmium Red. On the beak and feet, I needed a softer red, so I used Winsor & Newton Brown Madder.

2 comments:

cathyswatercolors said...

I love your painting style. It is so fresh and clean. It is also so diffierent from where my brain takes me when I paint. I just love love love the bird and the eggplant all the wet on wet? Clean and inspired. Pure watercolor.
I am also loving the dandelion!

CWBarnes said...

O how I love this painting. I have a few cardinals come thru our backyard. But not enough trees for them to stay. Carol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...