Saturday, August 13, 2011

Rosebud in Window

I painted this for a Daily Paintworks Challenge. They gave us a black and white photo, and we had to create a color painting using the same values from that photo. I didn't follow the rules exactly, but I was still very pleased with the result and happy to be able to participate. I always start with a pretty detailed pencil drawing. That is the "bones" of the painting. For me, it's very important, because I paint such "loose" watercolors and I probably am a bit of a minimalist - I tend to consider a painting "finished" before most painters would. I just don't like to overwork a watercolor.

7 comments:

Dan Kent said...

This is absolutely breathtaking! It is your "light touch" which makes this piece. Stunning!

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Dan, you have absolutely made my day, and then some. I'm so glad you like the rosebud piece. Validation from other artists is so helpful, like gas in our tank. Thank you!

Judy said...

I love your 'minimalist' style! My style is minimalist and for some people 'unfinished' too, but you are soooo much better! Coincidentally I painted pink roses in the window too this weekend.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Judy, I LOVE your blog! I think we have very similar watercolor taste and goals, and I'm going to become a follower of your blog now! Thank you for your kind comment!!!

Isabel PĂ©rez Lima said...

Beautiful!

Veronica said...

I just love your watercolors! I just found your blog on google and will be following it now =). I've been painting in oils for several years now but I've just started dabbling in watercolors...It's so hard!! I'm a total believer in not painting the life out of something (I never stop soon enough with watercolors!) and I really admire your minimalist approach! I have one question for you...Would you be able to tell me how to ship a watercolor?

Penny Bantle said...

Love this, RoseAnn. I am doing a series of watercolor flowers set in windows and so yours really caught my eye. Your style is a bit more loose than mine, which I absolutely adore. I also like that you leave lots of white paper - your "vignettes" are fantastic. I'd like to be looser in my watercolors and you are a great inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...