Saturday, January 14, 2012

Watercolor Paper

The type of paper you paint on really does make a difference in the outcome. If you're a tight, realistic painter, you will probably want an absorbent paper, and if you're a loose, flowing painter, you will probably like a harder, flatter paper. My favorite papers are Fabriano Artistico hot pressed and cold pressed, Strathmore 300 cold pressed paper (the back of the paper), and now Yupo synthetic paper. I always try the front side of the paper and the back side. Often I like the back side because it is harder and flatter. This carrot was painted on a new kind of paper called "Fluid" watercolor paper.

9 comments:

Judy said...

This is a lovely painting! I like flatter and harder paper too. I wish we could get Yupo over here, I see such wonderful results with it.

Katrina said...

I don't know how I got to your blog but I am really glad I did. Lovely paintings. I'll be back to check in often.

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi I am a archers 140 cold pressed fan. I will look for the papers you suggest when i visit the art store... that would be right after i get paid:) Love the carrot... it's dreamy!

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Thank you, guys! Judy, how come you can't get Yupo over there? Can you not order it from somewhere? Cathy, most of my watercolor friends love Arches. I can't stand it. To me, it's like painting on a sponge (too absorbent). We're all so different - haha!

Ingrid Ormestad said...

Wonderful watery watercolours RoseAnn! Judy, SAA sell Yupo, have a look here.
http://www.saa.co.uk/artsupplies/yupo-painting-paper-25-loose-sheets-a4-110gsm-296-x-210mm-980890.html

Laura Leeder said...

This is one pretty carrot!

Ree said...

I am a watercolor beginner, so happy that I found your blog also Esty shop online. I love your style so much that I can't stop click on each one of your work.(It looks not complicated but once I start to paint, it's totally a different thing.) I try to practicing more to get the close result as your's but I just can't get there. Hopefully I can be better one day.

Hillary Miller said...

Simple and fluid = peaceful and exciting at the same time!

Shayna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...