Saturday, August 25, 2012

Live Oak Tree and Bluebonnets


I've been working on prints again.  I started with this Live Oak Landscape I painted a few years ago.  The print-making process is so much more complicated and frustrating than I ever imagined it would be. There is so much technology involved.  The camera, the camera color settings, the photo software and its own color and editing settings, the artist's computer monitor and its color settings, the printer and its color settings, and of course the potential purchaser and their own monitor settings.  After all those steps, it's almost impossible to get the final print colors to match the original painting exactly.  You just have to do the best you can.  And that's just the color problem.  There are lots of other areas to sort out, such as printer size capabilities, aspect ratios, paper type, ink type, etc.  I tried making prints in three different ways so far:  (1) printing them myself, (2) using a professional printer and (3) using a print-on-demand service.  All have their advantages and disadvantages.  Since I'm a micro-manager, I prefer to do all the processes myself.  But it's exhausting.  I've been working on print-making for several years, and I know I still have tons to learn.  Anyway, I have a few of these landscape prints in 5x7 and 8x10, and I'll put them in my Etsy shop.  I'll keep working on prints, because I would like to make a calendar and note cards someday.  Oh boy....

2 comments:

Sharon Whitley said...

It is a nightmare getting a digital photo to look as close to the original painting as possible and then for it to print out the same - I've had a bit of a dabble and it's enough to make you want to scream!! Good luck!

RoseAnn Hayes said...

It's nice that other artists know what I mean, Sharon! Have you tried prints-on-demand sites like Imagekind? If print-making gets any harder, we may all have to use print-on-demand sites only.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...