Sunday, August 5, 2012

Three Flowers in Baby Food Jar Version #3

This is the third painting in my experiment. I painted the same subject, using the same colors and the same painting technique, on three different types of watercolor paper, to see how the paper affected the results.  This last painting is on Fabriano CP paper. Each paper was CP (cold-pressed) and had about the same amount of texture. My theory is that the difference results from the amount of sizing the paper has.  More sizing means that the paint absorbs into the paper slower, which gives me more time to manipulate the paint. Less sizing means the paint absorbs quicker, which results in a softer effect. I am a slow painter, so I like the paper that I believe has the most sizing (the Fabriano paper).  I'd love to know what my artists friends think. I do these little experiments often, and am always surprised at the differences I see.  Which of these three do you prefer?

5 comments:

Egretta Wells blog said...

I enlarged each one and then went back and forth a half dozen times and finally decided that I liked #1 best, # 3 next and #2 last. Why? I don't really know if it has to do with the paper, but anyway, just overall that was my decision.
Your work is always beautiful. Which paper did you like to work on the most?

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Hi Egretta! Thank you for your comments! In a way, I liked the outcome best on #1 (the Saunders Waterford paper), but I preferred working on the Fabriano paper (#3) best. The Fabriano has been a favorite for years because it's so slow to absorb the paint, which allows me more time to manipulate the paint and lift some off if I need to. I attribute this to the extra amount of sizing on the paper (tho I could be completely wrong about that). The Kilimanjaro paper (#2) would be good for portraits, I think, because it gives such a soft effect. I've got to try that. Everybody's painting style and speed is different, so somebody else could get a totally different result. But I think it's a great experiment for all of us. I learn alot from doing this.
PS - I just discovered your Creative Cottage Living blog --- WOW, it's gorgeous! I'm going back to read it some more!!!
Thank you again for your thoughts!

Joyfulartist said...

Since the three paintings are not together I can't do a comparison but I think all of your flowers are absolutely beautiful. I guess it comes down to the paper you like the best. I've used both Arches and Fabriano and like them both. I'm not crazy about Canson. Most of the time I pre-wet the paper so most of the sizing gets disolved or removed anyway.

Judy said...

Thank you for showing all three, RoseAnn! I think it is also personal preference. I don't like Fabriano Artistico, it buckles and creates unwanted effects when I work very wet. I like Canson Fontenay the best for wet work. But thank you for showing your experiments!

INA JACOBSEN said...

Me encanta la ligereza que tienen todas tus obras. Saludos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...