Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Violets and Ivy Watercolor Painting

I'm still in my purple flowers phase.  Can't get over how much purple and green compliment each other.  My favorite purple, used here, is Winsor & Newton Winsor Violet.  It's one of those colors that I never mix with anything.  I tend to tinker with so many colors - greens (always), blues (usually), pinks (often)....but this beautiful Winsor Violet is so perfect I wouldn't touch it.  And it is so nice against the crisp white of the paper.  I drew this little vignette while doing another of my favorite things:  listening to "Artists Helping Artists".  What a wonderful show.  I listen to at least one archived broadcast every day, and am so grateful for it.

5 comments:

Sharon Whitley said...

I love that combination too - I always have been drawn to those colours even before I started painting, just look at my wardrobe and my decor! This is so lovely - is windsor violet the same as dioxazine violet?

RoseAnn Hayes said...

I don't know, Sharon - I'll go look at the tube and see what I can find out and report back. I see you're wearing purple in your avatar! :)

Bluebell Woods said...

what do you use to get pink. I just water down my red. Do you buy pink especially or just dilute as I do?
Janice

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Janice, I make pink from reds and pinks and even from Madder Brown. I respect those people who use limited palettes, but that's not for me. I LOVE having tons of tubes of paint to choose from. I must have over a dozen big 12x15 palettes full of colors. I have TWO of them just for reds and pinks! I have noticed, however, that I'm starting to prefer pinks that are diluted from red colors. There are so many exciting new pink colors, but unfortunately when I actually try to use them I often find that they seem a bit artificial - not natural - and I have to "grey them down" or soften them.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Sharon, I thought I responded about the purple color, but I don't see it here. Anyway, I checked and Windsor Violet is dioxazine violet - you are correct! It's a fabulous color, and I know that oil painters love that color, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...