Tuesday, November 20, 2012

White Anemones

Backgrounds are such a challenge to me. I'm happy with this one, though. It's a greyed green, my favorite background color. I used a softened Perylene Green in the foreground.  I bought a tube of this color recently, and now it's one of my favorites. I've spent alot of my painting time lately making color charts, as recommened by Richard Schmid, one of my favorite oil painters. When I first made color charts, I made them on 11x14 paper.  That was too big.  I needed them to be smaller, so I did them again, only on 5x7 pieces of paper. A much better size, because it's much easier to stack them in front of me and shuffle through them as I paint, looking for the right color mix. 

"Happiness is to hold flowers in both hands." ~ a Japanese Proverb

8 comments:

Judy said...

So beautiful, RoseAnn! The greyed green in the background is a great choice to make the white flowers stand out.

INA JACOBSEN said...

Es delicioso, como todos tus trabajos. Ciao

Beatriz Abel said...

Roseann, los colores que utilizó son muy delicados y la transparencia que logró en el jarrón es fantastica

Sergio DS said...

I like backgrounds, the motive and all I see into this watercolor. It´s really lovely.

newmexicomtngirl.com said...

this is wonderful and I love that green too. which brand is it?
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne

Bluebell Woods said...

Do you paint the background first or fill it in after? I dont usually do a background in case I spoil the picture so the one I just did seems to work, sort of, I paited the background first.
I must say I am drawing a lot of inspiration from your blog
Janice

RoseAnn Hayes said...

CheyAnne, the Perylene Green is Winsor and Newton.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Janice, thank you so much for your kind comments! About painting the backgrounds - sometimes I paint them first and sometimes last. I am always struggling with the timing of the backgrounds - it must be a common thing. Each painting seems like a complicated puzzle when you're painting watercolors. You have to think things out in advance, many steps ahead, and especially about the backgrounds. I'm starting to think it might be better to paint backgrounds first, if possible. I often find that, if I paint them last, the painting goes off the cliff when I do the background.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...